Wednesday, November 10, 2010

BBQ Meatloaf

For Ashley....my MIL's BBQ meatloaf recipe. I think the first time I heard the words BBQ and meatloaf, I grossed out a little. In my mind, we'd be dumping BBQ sauce on a dried up "loaf" of meat. But this is probably the best meatloaf I've ever had. I'm not sure where she got the recipe originally, but it doesn't matter, it still tastes good. When I make it here, I serve it with homemade mashed potatoes that I whip with mayo and butter (yes sounds gross but its my super southern grandma's recipe and it rocks), and some extremely over-cooked southern green beans (you know the kind with bacon drippings). The whole meal is probably high in fat, sodium and all kinds of bad stuff....but it's good for the soul.
You will need:
1.5 lbs of lean ground beef
1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs OR 2 packs of plain instant oatmeal
1 medium onion, finely chopped and sauteed in some cooking spray
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. of salt
3- 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-2 T. yellow mustard
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

To put it all together: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Mix raw beef, bread crumbs (or oatmeal), onion, egg, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 of one of the cans of tomato sauce in a bowl. Make sure it's even throughout. Form ingredients into a "loaf" shape and put into the center of your casserole dish.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well. You may have to adjust the vinegar and mustard to your taste a little at a time. Pour the sauce over the meat loaf in the dish.
3. Bake for 1.5-2 hours, basting occasionally. We use the extra sauce on the meatloaf as a gravy to go over the potatoes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh now that sounds goooood!!!!!! I'll be trying this one soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good Morgan! Sometimes I double or triple the sauce so there's enough "gravy for the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete